10 December, 2011

Gingersnap Cookies


Christmas is just around the corner and one does associate Christmas with aromas of baked goodies. I've said this before and I shall say it again - there is something so intensely satisfying about the home being filled with the aroma of something "freshly baked". Be it bread, be it cookies, be it cakes, be it muffins - there is something hugely gratifying about it.

Also, the entire process is something that I personally find de-stressing. Vic asked me the other day "why don't you use ginger in baking ?" and therefrom germinated the idea of baking gingersnap cookies.

The original recipe was from here.

As I normally do, there were many changes I made to the recipe.

Here goes .....

Ingredients

3/4 cup melted butter (I pop the butter for 40 secs into the microwave)
1 cup lightly pressed light brown sugar
1/4 cup white sugar
1 egg (at room temp)
2 cups + 3 tbsps all purpose flour (I used the organic unbleached flour)
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon powder
1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
3 pinches of salt
granulated sugar (for coating)


Cream the butter, brown sugar and the white sugar together. Once that's done, add the egg (at room temperature - not right out of the fridge). Cream the mixture till the egg whites and yolk are all incorporated well into the butter/sugar mix.

Add the spices (cinnamon and ground ginger powder), baking soda and salt into the butter/sugar/egg mixture and work the mixture with a spatula, making sure the spices/baking soda do not leave any tiny lumps.

Add the plain flour and mix to bring the whole dough together. I found the dough a bit on the looser side with just 2 cups of plain flour and ended up adding another 3 tbsps of flour.

The dough is extremely malleable and is quite soft as compared with the cookie dough that I normally make for choc chip cookies.

Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C.

Roll the dough into small balls and dip one side of the dough ball into a bowl of granulated sugar.

Place the dough balls on the cookie sheet about 2 1/2 inches apart as these cookies really spread while baking. Place them sugar side up.

Bake for about 12 minutes at 180 degrees C.


Changes I made from the original recipe

1. The original recipe called for 1/4 cup dark molasses but I substituted with 1/4 cup white sugar.

2. The original recipe called for oil - I used butter. (Policy : when you sin, make sure you sin properly !!) :-))

3. The original recipe called for 2 tsps baking soda. I reduced this to 1 1/2 tsps because I've found that baking soda tends to really "dry out" the cookies. These were perfectly fine with 1 1/2 tsps of baking soda.

4. All cookie recipes normally call for the dry ingredients to be sifted together and then added to the wet ingredients. I never do this. I add the baking soda/salt etc directly into the wet ingredients. This way I can make sure that the soda or the spices (in this case) do not leave small lumps.

5. The original recipe calls for 1 tsp clove powder. I omitted this. Cloves do tend to have a very strong flavour and I had a feeling that the cloves would completely have taken over the flavour and the taste of the cookies.

Happy Baking !! :-))


2 voice(s) said so:

dipali said...

They look and sound absolutely scrumptious!

Sue said...

Yum. I'll give these a shot, thanks Gauri.