24 August, 2010

Raksha Bandhan at the Nutty Sibs'




My Dear Macadamia and Pecan,

The two of you are really something else. Really !

We know for a fact that the two of you put together spell trouble. Make that big, block, black letters. The word ‘trouble”. Cos put together, that precisely what the two of you are. 

The two of you get on each others’ nerves like nothing else in this whole wide world can. The two of you seem to have this absolutely innate knack, an inborn talent and a natural skill to irritate each other to no end. Your propensity towards grating on each others’ nerves is absolutely amazing. When you guys do that, it is almost as if nothing else in the world matters right then. There is but one aim, there is but one goal, there is but one objective, there is but one intention, there is but one target that you set your sights on. And you work towards that objective with a single minded determination that evokes in me, a grudging admiration. I mean, if you are indeed capable of that kind of single minded determination, it should and it well could apply to just about everything else that the two of you do, right ??? But irritating each other seems to bring out the absolute best in you guys.

Honestly !!  What gives, huh ??!!

I still remember that evening when the two of you started fighting over something totally trivial (but naturally !) and inconsequential (it always is) and very soon both of you were reduced to tears. In the midst of all that crying and shouting, me and Dad intervened to soothe the ruffled feathers and calm things down. Half an hour later it was bedtime and the two of you got into your respective bunks with a rather cool “good night” directed at each other. Me and Dad were just beginning to rest on our laurels at having defused a situation that might possibly have turned nuclear (or so we’d thought then), when a spate of giggles from your room brought our thought processes to a grinding halt ! That was soon followed by two resounding “Thuds !!”. That was the sound of our jaws hitting the floor – pretty hard !! If reconciliation was indeed going to be so quick, why did we even bother to intervene ? (sigh) That was one of those moments when I would have planted a kick on my own backside, if I could !

I’ve never had the opportunity to experience growing up with a sibling, for I am an only child. I can only imagine what it would have been like to grow up with a brother or a sister when I see the two of you interact with each other. I’m, in all probability, reliving bits of my childhood through the two of you. And now is as good a time as any to tell you both that I’m loving what I’m seeing :))).

When me or dad pull one of you up, I simply love, love, love the way you guys stand up for each other, the way you guys defend each other. At that point of time, it is almost as if that bond which unifies you as siblings, makes its presence felt in all its glory. There is this invisible aura, which I’m sure exists around all siblings all over the world, that so easily excludes others from its circle, yet keeps siblings cosy, safe, secure and ‘there for each other”, within its circle. It is not something I’ve seen but it sure is something I’ve felt, time and again.

You know, there never passes a day when I don’t thank God for having sent the two of you our way.

Funnily enough, though you drive us nuts day in and day out, I simply cannot imagine living without that kind of insanity in my life. You two drive us insane, but we love being in the midst of that kind of insanity. So yeah, do keep it coming !! Cos you see, there still remain plenty of hairs on our heads, yet to turn silver !!!

Today is Raksha Bandhan. The very term Raksha Bandhan means “a bond of protection”. The day, which, as you know, is marked by the sister tying a Rakhi on the wrist of her brother. The brother, in turn, vows to look after his sister. It is a day when siblings pray for each others’ well being and each others’ happiness.

Well, just a small note – those prayers can be said everyday, not just on Raksha Bandhan day ;-)))).

Do you guys know how this tradition of Raksha Bandhan began ?

Well, like all Indian festivals, Raksha Bandhan too has a divine, sacred beginning. There are many versions actually but it is said to have originated when Lord Krishna threw his chakra at Shishupala, to punish him for his various sins. In doing so, Lord Krishna cut his own finger which started bleeding. Draupadi immediately tore off a piece of her sari and bound it on Lord Krishna’s finger to stop the bleeding. When Lord Krishna asked Draupadi what she wanted, she is said to have merely said “Nothing, My Lord. Just your presence in my life, always.” From that moment on, Lord Krishna is said to have promised Draupadi that he would always be there for her. She simply needed to call him and he would be there.
Remember, when the Kauravas tried to dishonour Draupadi after the Pandavas had lost everything, she called out to Lord Krishna who immediately came to her rescue.
That is how the festival of Raksha Bandhan is said to have begun.

Here’s something I’ve always wanted to tell both of you but never really have put it into words. So here goes .....

I do thank God for these two nutty siblings
Who are, most of the time, mind boggling

The two of you have taught me things
The two of you never fail to tug at my heartstrings

You guys are crazy, you guys are absolute nuts
Fact remains that out of the same fabric, the two of you are cut

On this day, as on any other day
I do, to His Almighty, pray

I pray that this innocence you possess
May never decrease in the name of progress

I pray that the affection that you two possess
May increase and grow in its largesse

I pray that you will grow up and be smart
Yet, from each other, may you never grow apart.

Happy Raksha Bandhan to the adorable nutty siblings, without whom life simply would not be the same :-).

Lots and lots of love,

Mom

6 voice(s) said so:

Random Thoughts said...

I stopped reading at -

We know for a fact that the two of you put together spell trouble.

Should rewrite - Both of you put together spell BLESSINGS FROM ALMIGHTY.

Aathira said...

Its lovely to have siblings and I adore that I can say anything to my brother... share what I would maybe not want to tell my parents, but want some family kind advice.

(I hope I made sense )

Sumana said...

Lovely Post Gauri. Enjoyed it thoroughly and guess all moms would wish for these wonderful lines below:
I pray that you will grow up and be smart
Yet, from each other, may you never grow apart.
Very Nicely written. Wish the kiddos a wonderful raksha bandhan.

scarlettwrites said...

Beautiful post, Gauri.

Loved this line. >>There is this invisible aura, which I’m sure exists around all siblings all over the world, that so easily excludes others from its circle, yet keeps siblings cosy, safe, secure and ‘there for each other”, within its circle.

Also, from one only child to another, hugs!

Scarlett

Gauri said...

Random Thoughts : Post completely padna chahiye na. Like they say, never judge a book by its cover :)

Aathira : That would not have made sense to me a decade ago, but now, makes perfect sense :)

Sumana : Thank you and keep visiting

Scarlett : Thank you. *Hugs Scarlett right back* :)

Yatisha Parashar said...

Nice one Gauri mam. . At start I think it was bit lengthy, but the end one heart touching messages was good enough. !! Happy Rakshabandhan in advance. !!