18 May, 2010

Yay !!! M & M cookies !!!

"Mummeeeee - can you make colorful cookies this time" screamed two voices in unison.  Who else but Macademia and Pecan ?

It made me stop in my tracks, drop whatever it was that I was doing and actually pay attention .... close attention to those two voices ..... because over the past year or so ....... I've never heard those voices in unison, actually concurring about something.  They simply concur over nothing ..... simply because they don't want to see eye to eye on just about anything.  Starting from something as simple as watering the plants at home to something as big as environmental consciousness in terms of using less tissues ..... they agree on nothing !!!

If one points towards the North, the other, by some obtuse force of nature, is compelled to point South.  Same goes for East and West !!  Thank the Lord for small mercies, in that they've not branched off into the South Wests and the North Easts and what have you !!  They manage to drive me nuts with just the "You point North, I have to point South" theory.  For the most part, on good days, I can be found walking on the ceiling - for, they don't just drive me up the wall, they've made me go on to the ceiling !!!

Given these circumstances, it was nothing short of a marvel that Macademia and Pecan were actually speaking the same language ..... it was with sheer incredulity that I watched and heard them say the same thing "Can you please make colorful cookies ?".

Perhaps it was the astonishment at this miracle unfolding right before my very eyes that made me say rather magnanimously "OK.  Let's bake some M & M cookies today."

"Yaaaaay !!!" said Macademia and Pecan, once again in unison.

"Today is SO my day" I thought, grinning inwardly ..... "They're actually not fighting over the minute details of the cookies", I gloated, totally rejoicing in the magic of the moment.  The very next minute, I could not believe my ears ..... my voice seemed to have a life of its own as it said "So guys .... is it going to be vanilla cookies with M & Ms or chocolate cookies with M & Ms ?"

"Vanilla" screamed Macademia and as though it was only natural for him to voice his dissent .... "Chocolate" shouted Pecan.

What is it that they say about inviting trouble ???!!!  I had, in all my generosity of spirit, managed to land myself in a quandary.  Let's just say I handed them the situation in a platter ..... actually gave them an opportunity to squabble over a rather insignificant detail ......

We finally ended up making two small batches of both - Vanilla cookies with M & Ms and also Chocolate cookies with M & Ms. 

Some people never learn from their mistakes ..... and I happen to be one of them.  In fact, I specialize in making new kind of mistakes all over again ...... and that was how, in an attempt to make something in shades of dark brown and white - we ended up making a batch of double chocolate chip cookies as well - chocolate cookies with white chocolate chips.

Here's the bounty from today's baking session ......







The base recipe for the above cookies can be found here.


Changes made to the above recipe

1. We used 3/4 cup of melted butter instead of 1 cup of shortening.

2. We used just 3/4 tsp of baking soda instead of 1 tsp.

3. We used just 1/4 tsp of salt instead of 1 tsp.

4. We used almost 2 3/4 cups of All Purpose Flour (Unbleached) instead of 2 1/4 cups.

5. The cookies were baked at 160 degrees Celsius for about 11 mins instead of 175 degrees (as per the above recipe).

4 voice(s) said so:

rrmom said...

yummy!

Random Thoughts said...

Too Many Cookies & Brownies = Obesity

Aathira said...

Wow :)

Every time I come to your blog, I am again reminded of how stupid I was not to get an oven!

Sue said...

Mummmeeee I'm hungreeee!