27 January, 2010

I'm not a baby anymore !!!!!

I have been, of late, tumbling down memory lane quite often.

The scenes that play across the screen of my mind are those in which I often find myself growling at my mom and the dialogues are pretty much based on the same theme – “I’m not a baby any more so please stop treating me like one”. There have been instances when I’ve recalled having said the same thing to my mom, but in a tone of absolute resignation. The tones differ, the situations were different as was the manner in which the sentences were spoken. The central premise or subject matter or argument (whichever way one chooses to look at it) was however, the same. “I’m not a baby. Would you please stop treating me like one ?”

All my mom had to say then was “You won’t realize how a mother feels, now. Wait until you have children of your own and then you’ll know.”

This quote on her part (as I’m sure is the case with a lot many moms) never failed to evoke a snigger or a snort or a guffaw of laughter from me. This guffaw would also be accompanied by a “yeah, sure” which used to ooze and drip sarcasm. The icing on top of the cake, as I do distinctly recall, was a “roll of eyes heavenward”.

The other day, Pecan came back from school and announced that they were going on a field trip the next day. Hence, their teacher had asked them to bring in their snacks in Ziploc bags and not in their snack boxes.

The next morning dawned bright and clear and I’d packed up Pecan’s snack (a swiss roll) in a Ziploc bag. Macademia and Pecan were having their morning fuel a.k.a a cup of Ovaltine. All was quiet until I suddenly realized that it would be a good idea to put Pecan’s name down on the Ziploc bag. “There will be a number of Ziploc bags and what if the snack gets mixed up with someone else’s ?” I thought to myself as I approached the table with a black marker pen. I did not hear Macademia’s muted giggles as I religiously wrote Pecan’s name on the Ziploc bag.

“Why do you have to put my name on it ?” asked a completely perplexed looking Pecan.

“Just so that it does not get mixed up with someone else’s snack.” I countered.

“Mummy, we are going to be carrying our own snack bags. No one is going to carry it FOR US. So how is it going to get mixed up.” asked a rather exasperated looking Pecan.

“Oh !! You are going to carry your own snack bag ? Please make sure you don’t drop your snack bag along the way or forget it in the bus, OK ?” I told Pecan, blissfully unaware of the delightfully amused look Macademia was sporting, as she watched the early morning entertainment unfold.

“Oh ! And do ask someone to open the pack for you.” I continued, totally missing out on the rather horrified looks that Pecan was shooting my way.

“I know how to open a Ziploc bag !!!!” said Pecan, eyes as wide as saucers, a look of utter disbelief on his face.

“Not the Ziploc – I’m talking about the pack of swiss roll” I said, still not realizing that Macademia was not on the chair anymore. I guess she must’ve been rolling on the floor in total mirth.

“I know to open that too !!!!!!!!” came the reply from Pecan – each word measured, clipped and concise.

“I’m not a baby, Mummy. So don’t worry about my snack, OK.” said Pecan, who had absolutely no idea of the effect those words had.

A while later, as both Macademia and Pecan were to leave home to take their school bus, I realized that Macademia had rather pointedly ignored the school jacket which had been set out for her. And well, it was really cold and windy outside.

“Wear your jacket, will you ?” I told her, which promptly evoked a rather bored “I’m not feeling cold” response from her which, in turn, made me say “It’s really cold and windy outside. So please wear that jacket.”

“You know Mom – I pretty much end up looking like a snowman in all these layers of clothes that you make me wear. Some of my friends walk in wearing their PE shorts ok, shorts !! and I look like the cheery snowman with like – 3-4 layers of clothes on me !!!!!!”

“It’s better to keep warm than to fall sick.” I responded.

“You know what Mom” said Macademia, with a rather thoughtful look on her face. “Why don’t you give me a carrot and a snowcap too – that would so totally complete the picture. I could actually go in as a snowman.” said Macademia.

“It’s cold outside. Don’t you understand ?” I asked her, totally horrified at the thought of Macademia walking into the horrid weather outside without proper winter gear.

“I’m not a baby, Mom. I k.n.o.w when I’m feeling cold. That jacket is going to fry me” said Macademia – with that “roll of the eyes heavenward”.

Right at that moment, life pretty much came full circle for me.

Yeah, mom – I heard myself say, albeit reluctantly. You were right in saying that for a parent, a child remains a child, no matter how old they are.

It did not take long though, before a rather amused smile appeared on my face. That amused smile soon gave way to a rather delighted grin when I realized that I now had a sure shot dialogue in my arsenal, to use on both Macademia and Pecan, when the situation so demanded.
I could picture myself telling them “You won’t realize this now. But you will – someday. Wait until you have children of your own and then you’ll know.”

I know that I can try this line on them very confidently, simply because I now know that it works.

It really does.

post signature

7 voice(s) said so:

Anonymous said...

I think children know better how warm clothes they need. I started to wear only shorts all year (we have cold winters with snow). Now at 17 I still wear shorts (max to knees) all year and am almost never ill. I just always get comments.

anupama said...

kids grow up soo fast..each generation discovers it with their own experience

Rohini said...

:)

My brat is in the "I know everything phase'. So when told to not do something, he'll respond with - "I knew that". Since he's right in the middle of doing that very thing, it's all I can do to not roll my eyes...

Trish said...

Hiyyaa G,
How are you?I came here after a long time.So much to catch up on!
Love the new look.
Pecan and Macedamia have indeed grown up!:) Will go on to read the rest of the posts now.

DDmom said...

LOL! G. Life does come back full circle. We are not exactly there yet, though I see traces already. Few more years to go. I hope.
Am smiling at the first commenter. 17 yrs old commenting on a mommy blog. Kids are growing up fast, very soon we might start seeing them commenting on our blogs. Shudder!!!

scarlettwrites said...

ROTFL Gauri. Your kids have a stellar sense of humour and wit, I tell ya. And you document it so beautifully.

So. Did you pack a carrot to complete the snowman look? There I go laughing again :)

Cheers,
Scarlett

Sue said...

Erma Bombeck. Just Wait Till You Have Kids of Your Own

Fantastic book and all about this. Hilarious.