14 June, 2007

There's Still Hope !!!

"I don't want to share with you" he said.

"You Are Mean Mean Mean" she said

"Aparna go. Don't want Aparna" he said

"Awright fine. I'm going. Even if you call me, I'm not coming back" she said

"I don't give you the computer" he said

"Abhay I'm telling you one last time. Pccchhh !!! Awright !!! That's it !!! I'm going. Next time you come to me and say you want to play with me, I'm NOT going to play with you" she said

This is the kind of conversation that we normally hear between Aparna and Abhay nowadays.

Yeah - they do have their moments when they are at peace with each other, they do have their moments of uninhibited laughter, they do have their moments of screaming delightfully in total abandon as children their age are meant to .......... yet, scenes like the ones mentioned at the beginning of this post are plentiful, to say the least.

Makes me wonder, at times ....... if they go at each other like Tom and Jerry now, what would the scene be like when they grow up ?

Last Sunday, while I was dusting the furniture, Appu came running with a rather mortified look on her face and started screaming

"Mummy Bandaid Mummy Bandaid"
"Mummy - quick - get a bandaid. Abhay's foot is bleeding."

She was all but about to burst into tears. To put it mildly, the Little Madam was worried sick.

When I went over to the living room (which, incidentally, was the crime scene) I found Abhay sitting and whimpering away to glory. Something had poked into the heel of his right foot and the resultant wound was bleeding.

A few tissues and a lot of hair-ruffling and a great many kisses and a bandaid later, Mr.Exasperation deemed his foot fit to be put down on the carpet. He was seen hobbling around the house with Appu following him and clucking all over him like a mother hen. It was a sight to behold !!!

A sibling may be the keeper of one's identity, the only person with the keys to one's unfettered, more fundamental self. ~ Marian Sandmaier


Today morning, I was in the kitchen when Abhay came over and asked

"Where's Aparna ?"

I told him to go and look if she'd woken up and if not, requested him to do the honours of waking her up.

He went buzzing and came back on the double ......

"Where's Aparna ?" and this time his voice was a few pitches higher ....

Grandmom thought a little bit of leg pulling was in order and said to Abhay

"Aparna has gone to school".

A quick survey around the room and Abhay turned to me with eyes as big as saucers and said

"Aparna not take her lunch box" "Aparna want to take her lunch box"

He had noticed that Aparna's lunch box was still sitting on the dining table.

Just then, Appu walked out of the bathroom and was rewarded by a huge hug from none other than Mr.Exasperation himself.

His sigh of relief on seeing her could be heard all the way in the kitchen.

Even as she left for school later in the morning, he made it a point to ask

"Aparna take lunch box ?"

Wow !!

And these are the two who behave as though one is a cat and the other is a mouse, most of the time. They are at each others' necks, they fob each other off, they call each other mean, they don't want to share their stuff with each other, the tell on each other ............ but end of the day, they care for each other.

And therefrom arises the sentiment "Ah ..... there's still hope !!" :-))

The situation is rather comic, frighfully exasperating, yet in its entirety, so appealing and very alluring.

As someone once said about siblings .........

It was nice growing up with someone like you - someone to lean on, someone to count on... someone to tell on!
~Author Unknown


post signature

14 voice(s) said so:

NainaAshley said...

Hi Gauri,

Nice blog.
Of course there is hope. All siblings fight as kids but most of them will be close once they grow up. Your kids already care a lot for each other.

Can I add you to my favourites?

B o o said...

Gauri, We are pleased to inform that you have been awarded the Thinking Blogger Award by Boo and please do us the honor by kindly accepting the award from here: http://boosbabytalk.blogspot.com/2007/06/and-awards-go-to.html

Sraikh said...

I have 4(youngest is oonly 8 months though) and sometimes I lock myself in the bathroom to escape their fightings.
But yeah sometimes, they surprise me with their kindness towards each other

karmickids said...

Oh God, you're making me want to chuck those pills out and make a sibling for the brat....

Sunita said...

That was a beautiful post.

Mike M said...

Great blog!!

itchingtowrite said...

loved the last line.. i totally relate to it and always wanted 2 children

Ardra said...

Hi Gauri- just back from vacation at my parents home in Kerala- have been catching up with posts that i missed- lots been happenning in blogdom- I see-
thanks for reaching out...
and btw, this post is touching.
ardra

Gauri said...

NainaAshley : A warm welcome to a fellow Bombayite :-) !! And hope to see you around more often.

Boo : Thanks dear. Will post this one early next week.

Sraikh : Welcome. And sure hope to see you around here more often.

Kiran : :-)

Sunita : Thanks

Mike : Thanks

ITW : Thanks. How are the twins doing ? Been a while since I read your posts. Will hop over onto your blog soon.

Ardra : Thanks. Nice to have you back in Blogsville :-) Hope you had a good vacation.

Praba said...

G -

So sweet! I am starting to see glimpses of those mixed-up moments between K and S surfacing already...

You've done a great job of capturing the details of sibling relationship through this conversation piece of your kids..
:-) Lovely!

p

Rohini said...

Well in the end you made it sound like it's still worth it to have a sibling.... must start thinking about soon

geetha said...

So sweet.. however much they fight with each other, they still look out for each other. Happended to me.. and now I see it in my sons too :)

Harini Sridharan said...

Awww... so cute, reminds me of my own brother.

Nice blog, btw!

Just like that said...

That was a lovely post on why everybody should have a bro'/sis while growing up.
you make me want to make a sibling for Sonny boy soon...