17 January, 2007

From the Mouths of the "Babes"

Some snippets from the “mouths of the babes” while we were on our sojourn to India.

We flew in to Kochi airport and hired a car to take us to Ernakulam. En route, as is normal in Kerala, there was plentiful of grasslands on both ides of the road and there were cattle grazing peacefully. Suddenly Appu exclaims “Hey Hey –Look Look – I see wildlife”.

While in Kerala, we took the kids to the elephant krall at Kodanad, Perumbavoor. There were quite a few frisky baby elephants which the kids were absolutely enamoured with. Finally, we took them to the last stalls where we saw two huge, majestic elephants. The kids, I must say, were totally dumbstruck. Just then, one elephant peed and Abhay immediately piped up in a loud voice “That’s a waterfall”.

Not to be outdone, Appu exclaimed “Hey I see another trunk. That elephant has two trunks”.

While in Bombay, Abhay got used to seeing auto rickshaws all around. They were everywhere. When he had his first ride in a auto rickshaw, he was clinging to me like a baby monkey, arms around my neck and his face stuffed into the crook of my shoulder. When the rickshaw was running amock on the potholed road, a tiny voice near my shoulder says “Where is the door of the rickshaw ?”

Very soon, auto rickshaw became a favourite mode of transportation. “Its like a horse ride” said Appu.

The four of us were coming back from my mom’s place – in a auto rickshaw, of course. The rickshaws are supposed to have a chain on one of the sides while the other side is used by passengers to get in and out of the rickshaw. This particular rickshaw did not have the chain on the other side. And we were sitting in our usual formation – Appu on one side, me with Abhay perched on my lap in the centre and Vic on the other side. Since there was no chain on Appu’s side of the rickshaw, Vic told her “Appu Hold On Tight”. Appu immediately says “Yes Daddy – I’m holding on – to my glasses”.

This trip, we made it a point to take the kids to visit all of their grandparents. And they have a mind boggling number of grandparents. I mentioned to Vic one day “Let’s go for golgappas tomorrow”. Abhay, not having heard me clearly, asked “Where we going ?”. Vic told him “We’re going for golgappas tomorrow”. Abhay was heard going around saying “Tomorrow we go to see the Golgappa Grandpa and Golgappa Grandma”.

As we do normally, the day before our return to HK, we made a checklist. Just so that we do not end up forgetting something important. Appu wanted to know what a checklist was. I told her “It’s a list you make so that you remember to carry back all the important things”. She looked the list over and says “Hey you’ve listed out “The Kids”. Sure enough – what I had put down on the list was “Cookies and chips in handcarry bag for The Kids”.

While in Bombay, occasionally Abhay, after waking up in the morning, would respond to a “Good Morning” greeting by saying “Subah Ho Gayi Mamooo”.

Carrying the Indianisation a bit further, Abhay now refers to Sesame Street or any of the characters in the show with a loud “Gali Gali Sim Sim” (that’s what Sesame Street is known as in the now infamous cable network in Bombay)

While in Bombay, we had visited the Haji Ali Dargah and while there the Mullah used the peacock feathers to bless people. Abhay chose to call it “Ummachi dusting me”.

This time around, we introduced Appu to the delights of street food in Bombay and much to our delight, she loved it. This time, while going out, the request was not for Kurkures but for Daabelis and Vada Paavs.


More of these as and when I jog my memory and happen to remember some more ......

4 voice(s) said so:

@ said...

OMG! You have me in splits!!!
I really did laugh out loud at Golgappa Grandpa and Golgappa Grandma...:)

and your Kerala description drives home the point: I must, must, must visit!

mommyof2 said...

lol@ golgappas;-)

Just like that said...

hahaha
'holding on to my glasses'- hilarious.
Also the Golgappa granparents!
Loved this post.
The kodanad elephant kraal is indeed wonderful for kids, isn't it?

Actually hopped on to you and liked what I read so much, came down to read all of you, am loving it!

Vani said...

loved the ummachi :-)