12 October, 2006

The Joy of Friendship

The glory of friendship is not the outstretched hand, nor the kindly smile, nor the joy of companionship; it is the spiritual inspiration that comes to one when you discover that someone else believes in you and is willing to trust you with a friendship.

~ Ralph Waldo Emerson



As is my normal schedule, I went to school at noon to fetch Abhay. While we were making our way to the flight of stairs that lead to our apartment block, I saw a little girl waiting on the second step. She seemed to be waiting for Abhay and sure enough, as soon as we got to the first step, she extended her little hand, palm open and said “Abhay, come, hold my hand”.


Detour
------
Once earlier, I had gone to school to fetch him early cos there was a thunderstorm on. When I reached school I found their classroom empty. On reading their daily schedule, I realised that it was their “music time”. So off I went to the music room. The door was closed and as I watched the proceedings through the glass on the door, I found Abhay and his friend sitting next to each other. He was playing with the toy piano and she was playing with the toy xylophone. I don’t know how long they had been playing with their respective toys cos after a couple of minutes, they switched toys and continued to play – each one lost in their own world.

Every morning, the kids have a warm up routine outside their classrooms, in the play area. They dance to songs like wheels of the bus, head shoulders knees and toes etc. One day, I was standing on the sidelines watching the kids and Abhay was standing next to me. Hesitating, cos he did not want to go down to the play area and dance with the others. That was when I noticed the same little girl beckoning to him and silently calling out “Abhay Come”.

End of Detour
-------------

And up the steps they went. In fact, when we reached the top of the stairs, Abhay forgot that he had to turn right and cross the road. He just kept walking with his friend, until the time I reminded him gently that “home” for us lay the other way.

Abhay waved to her with a grin on his little face and said “bye bye” “see you tomorrow” and his friend too waved and said “bye bye” with a shy smile.

I found myself smiling too, unconsciously. There is something so pure, so innocent, so wholesome about the world that these small children live in. When I say live in, I mean their minds, the simple thoughts around which revolves their orbs. And life, as they know it, is so straightforward, so uncomplicated.

They derive such pleasure and laughter out of something as simple as spilling water or spitting food out or clapping their hands or singing a nursery rhyme, turning cartwheels, planting sloppy little kisses on their parents (I’ve many a times noticed Abhay favouring the aquarium too with his little kissies – I presume they are meant for the fish swimming within the aquarium), playing horsey horsey with daddy, asking to be tickled ……….

A big hug, a gentle ruffling of their heads, a smile that comes from deep within the heart and shines through the eyes too – these little things are many a times more than enough to make them feel sated and happy.

Oh Sweet Innocence !!

And it is with complete unadulterated pleasure that I watch these tiny bonds of friendships form among the 25 little children in Kindergarten One, who, about a month and a half back, did not even know that the other 24 existed.

5 voice(s) said so:

Tharini said...

Very sweet Gauri. Some very fetching thoughts and well expressed.

noon said...

Really their innocence can make you cry! So pure...so whoe-hearted and straight forward...nice one.

mommyof2 said...

So he has a g/f now;-)cute post:-)

shruti said...

Friendship is like a prism through which the many variations of beauty are revealed in our lives.

starry nights said...

sweet post and so true the innocence in children, we can learn from them.