15 August, 2006

Fascination with Numbers

That is Abhay's latest fascination - with numbers. Numbers of any kind anywhere. Be it books, block numbers, floor numbers in the elevator - like I said - anything anywhere - as long as it is in numerics.

When we go over to the park or get back from the park, he has made it a habit to stop at each and every block and read the block number. He can be heard chirping "Thats thirty two" "Thats thirty three" in that trademark singsong voice of his.

With books - rather than the reading matter on the pages, his concentration nowadays is riveted on the page numbers at the bottom of the page.

Sometimes it is so very endearing to watch him - especially when there is a bit of confusion - like "52" - when he does get slightly confused "is that fifty two or is it twenty five ?". Till the time he decides, he is a sight. That now (in)famous index finger pointed at the number (as though it is the guilty party), eyes fixed and staring, eyebrows furrowed in concentration ......... makes me want to give him a huge bear hug.

Most of the times, I do go over, sit next to him and if, I repeat, if he looks at me with a question mark on his face or asks me "Whats that?" - I do help him. Otherwise, I let him figure it out by himself. Most of the times, he does :-))

What can I say, this little guy seems to have a penchant for "figures". :-)))

2 voice(s) said so:

Random Thoughts said...

Literally and Figuratively

Poore Baap Pe Gaya Hai!

Hunky Dude said...

The dude's gonna be like Hunky Dude when he grows up!...oy is he gonna be popular or what!